Teacher Spotlight: Lisa Henriquez
Lisa Henriquez 4th Grade Social Studies Teacher
1. How long have you been teaching?
2. What inspired you to pursue a career in education?
I had fabulous teachers in middle and high school. The class was fun and engaging. I wanted to be able to go in a classroom and share things I loved and help others have the same experience in school I had.
3. What is your favorite thing about teaching or your biggest success story?
I love when students go home talking about history or relating it to current events in their life. I teach in Atlanta, so my students are surrounded by history! It is so exciting when they go visit the Atlanta History Center or the Center for Civil and Human Rights on weekends and come back excited about things they learned.
4. What challenges do you face in the classroom?
Making things relevant. History is so much more than random names & dates. It can be a challenge to relate things that happened in 1800 to a student's life.
5. How do Gallopade products or Gallopade Curriculum help you in the classroom?
It provides the basic information needed to stay focused on what is needed to meet the standards. I use it to guide the lessons and can add supplementary material when needed. It was indispensable during virtual learning, and I continue to use the online resources. The Clickbooks provide extra information and needed practice using social studies skills.
6. What is something that every student should know about teachers?
We don't know all the answers. We continue to learn new things every day!
7. What advice would you impart to a new teacher or someone who wants to become a teacher?
Don't listen to all the bad press! Like any rewarding career, teaching is hard work but even on your worst day, you are helping a person get through life.
8. What do you love to do when you're not teaching?
Travel. I try to go on a 'field trip' whenever I go on vacation. It is fun to share a picture from a family trip that relates to my content.
Do you know an educator who goes above and beyond the call of duty to inspire their students? Nominate them today!